27 March 2008

We've decided to put Evan in an all-Korean preschool- for his social development and language immersion and it grants me time to study everyday. The school is affiliated with a Presbyterian church about 1 mile from our house. There are kiddos from 2 to 6 in a preschool setting, and a kindergarten (they start public school at age eight) in the main church. "Age" is an interesting concept here... everyone has a birthday (Dec 9, 2005 for Evan), but age is measured by how many lunar new years you have experienced. So, Evan actually turned "one" in February, 2006... "two" in 2007, and now he's considered "three".

Monday was his first day, and was filled with lots of tears and screaming when he had to get on the bus (9:30), but he seemed in good, slightly confused spirits, when he got home (2:30). They pick him up and drop him off at our house in a modified mini-van that has a bunch of seats. Car seats do not exist in Korea... in private cars, the children climb around in the back seat, or a parent holds the infant.

The school provides a backpack for him (once he's not so distressed to see it, I'll take a picture of him with it on), a lunch box and soon, a new uniform for Mondays.

Today was a little better- we waited in the parking lot and there were no tears when he saw the van coming up the hill. He actually separated himself from me and didn't howl at the nice lady who rides with them in the back of the van. The last two days she's had to hold him because he's been too emotional to sit by himself. My conversations with the "van lady" consist of "Un-young-hasay-yo" (Hello) and smiling nervously as I hand her my screaming child. As far as I can tell, her English is as good as my Korean :)

We'll keep trying for the rest of the week- and I'll go in Friday to talk to the teachers to see how he's doing. Hopefully next week will bring less heartache for both of us!

It's hard to tell what actually goes on at school- partly because I'm not sure he understands what's going on (he is the only English speaker), and his emotions are probably exceeding his vocabulary at this point. I think all is well- he talks about blocks, beads and stickers. It seems the lunches are agreeing with him- "turkey" "rice" and "barley soup" for lunch today... not sure what it really was, but that's what he thought he ate!

1 comment:

Haley said...

You're so brave!! Thinking of little Evan screaming like that with crazy Koreans made me nervous for the both of you!

I hope it works out and he learns some Korean! He can teach you then:)

Hope all is well:)