19 February 2008

Flower Market

We traveled about an hour from Songtan, to a flower market near Seoul.
It's easy to find- just off the freeway. There are rows upon rows of greenhouses that are filled with vendors stalls. We walked into the nearest greenhouse and were just amazed at the orchids- everything was in bloom- manicured, arranged, and presented just beautifully. Our treasures for the day were a sculpted azalea, a hanging pothos, an aloe plant for the kitchen, a huge potted Amaryllis cousin, three South American tropical plants (not sure what they are), and a vase of lotus bamboo. All for the low price of about $90 US. Evan had lots of fun seeing everything from the backpack- and really enjoyed all the shopkeepers doting on him and suprising him with a lollipop. Yes, lollipop has certainly risen to the top on his list of vocab... "maybe we'll see a lollipop?" "Do I get a lollipop" "They might have a lollipop" And, my favorite... "Lollipop... OK. OK. OK." As if talking about it and giving yourself permission will conjure a lollipop out of thin air.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

The Dennis's said...

You're brave to buy real plants. I toss the idea around whenever I go there. They're all so beautiful, but I hate the idea of not being able to take them back to the states with us.

Lauren said...

Sounds fabulous... but was it as good as buying your wedding flowers at the market in Seattle? :)

Haley said...

I LOVE THAT PLACE! The orchids were amazing - Erin and I went when I was there at Christmas. I took a million pictures, but didn't buy because I know Todd would never take care of a plant, and I couldn't take anything back with me:( BUT, i'm taking good care of your plants here in Tucson:)

Glad you're enjoying Korea, for all its craziness!

And, NO, we didn't go to a nudist beach in Hawaii:):)